What Is Re-Decking?
Re-decking is a way to restore your deck without completely replacing it. This way you can enjoy all the benefits of a brand new deck without the actual cost of paying for one. Re-decking keeps the same foundation and replaces the railing, stairs, and deck boards.
There are several reasons why people choose to re-deck and a number of guidelines to follow. Read on to learn more about what our Grand Rapids deck builders have to say about re-decking.
While re-decking is a great option for a lot of people, it is not for everyone. Sometimes getting a brand new deck is a better idea if your current one has a damaged foundation or one that is too old. Listed below are a number of guidelines to help you decide whether or not re-decking is right for you.
- The foundation of your deck, the frame and structure, must be in good quality condition.
- It needs to be clear that your foundation has multiple years left in it because there is no use re-decking only to replace it a year or two later.
- If a deck in bad condition is re-decked then the foundation can break down further and potentially injure someone. This is why the integrity of your deck is important.
- Re-decking is not a deck makeover. There are slight changes that can be accommodated, however, re-decking is essentially replacing the exterior of your deck with new material.
- If you want significant changes done to your deck, you should consider replacing it entirely with a new one.
- It’s vital to make sure your deck flashing is properly installed otherwise you may have moisture problems, especially around the joints. This is something that needs to be fixed before re-decking, if that is still a viable option.
You should move forward with re-decking if your deck meets all of these standards.
Reasons for Re-Decking
There are multiple reasons why someone would want to choose re-decking over a full replacement. One of the biggest reasons is to have your deck look better. Decks are made to be strong and durable but over the course of years between the weather, the sun, foot traffic, and water damage, they can lose a lot of their original luster.
Another reason for re-decking is to match the house. If you have done some renovations on your house and it no longer matches your deck, you may want to consider re-decking. Also, re-decking is more affordable than replacing your whole deck because you do not have to re-install a whole foundation.
If you are looking to sell your house, it should be easier if your deck looks newer than if it looks more run-down. However, it is important to note that re-decking may or may not increase your home’s value. Simply having a deck at all does increase your home’s value.
Contact Us Today
Have you had your deck for a while and want it to look brand new? Re-decking is a great way to improve the aesthetic of your deck without having to completely replace it. Our decking contractors in Grand Rapidsoffer free quotes and fast installation. Call usat (616) 608-9713.